Sunday, January 08, 2006

Hibernation

now reading: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

I told you I would spend the entire winter reading this book. Now, I did have my unfortunate illness in December as well as taking my Christmas pause to read Dickens, but still. I'm pathetic. I'm on page two hundred something.

Sometimes people on the subway look at me reading it but unlike in the English-speaking world where I would secretly expect them be impressed (ha) I wonder if they know what it is or just wonder what the big book is. Then again, people stare at us "wei-guk" (foreigners) all the time even if we're not holding a 2,000 page novel in one hand and clinging to the hanging-hold-on-to-me-thingy with the other.

I'm reading about Prince Andrei running around with Prince Bagration's or whatever his name is troops after Napoleon was like, truce? Are you kidding?

I think Tolstoy was super sarcastic and would have been a fun guy to hang out with.

I love sarcasm. There is a distinct lack of it here in the R.O.K.

That's all right. Now that I've bought my new (to me, but really used) computer I plan to hibernate in my room the rest of my time in Korea anyway. <---slight exaggeration

Except if I was supposed to eat a lot to pack on some excess body fat before going into hibernation then I seriously failed in that regard.

No comments: