Saturday, December 10, 2005

Let us begin...

Welcome, stalwart literary souls!

The edition of Tolstoy's tome I have is the big fat mass market Signet Classic.
ISBN: 0-451-52326-1

I chose this edition for many reasons, most of which I can't remember now. That was more than a year ago, after all. I do recall that I sat for quite a while comparing the first lines of each text (very important), skimming the introductions and reading the "notes on texts," and of paramount importance seeing what they did with the French used in the book and with Tolstoy's revisions when he himself corrected proofs for the second edition. My exhaustive research led me to buy this one. Bonus points that it was translated by a woman.

I am on page 86. But don't be alarmed! It starts on page 29. So I've read less than 60 pages this week. I think Sunday will be my main War and Peace day. I did not read the entire introduction because I don't want the ending spoiled. PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND when you comment about the book to me!

I am excited about reading it. Finally! Here's a quote I liked this week:

"'Now, this war is against Napoleon. If it were a war for freedom I could understand it, and I should be the first to go into the army...'
Prince Andrei merely shrugged his shoulders at Pierre's childish statement. He looked as though he found it impossible to reply to such foolishness; and, indeed, it would have been difficult to make any other response than the one Prince Andrei made to this naive remark.
'If everyone fought only for his own convictions, there would be no wars,' he said."
--pp. 52-53

No comments: